In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fifehead Magdalen like this:
FIFEHEAD-MAGDALEN, a parish in Sturminster district, Dorset; on the river Stour, 4½ miles NE of Stal-bridge r. station, and 6 W by S of Shaftesbury. Post town, West Stour, under Blandford. Acres, 976. Real property, with Marnhull and Thornton, £11, 390. Rated property of F. M. alone, £2, 020. Pop., 200. Houses, 39. The property is all in one estate. The manor belonged to St. Augustine's in Bristol; and passed to the bishops. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £250.* Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury, The church contains monuments of the Newmans, and is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Fifehead Magdalen has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Fifehead Magdalen and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fifehead Magdalen in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th August 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Fifehead Magdalen".