In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Evershot like this:
EVERSHOT, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Beaminster district, Dorset. The village stands near the head of the river Frome, and near the Dorchester and Chippenham railway, 8 miles S by E of Yeovil; has a station on the railway, and a post office under Dorchester; was once a market town; and has still a fair on 12 May. The parish comprises 1, 409 acres. Real property, £2, 574. Pop., 595. Houses, 118. The property is divided among a few. Melbury Hall here, the seat of the Earl of Ilchester, is a very ancient building, partly Gothic, partly Grecian, and stands in a fine park. ...
The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Frome-St. Quintin, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church is very good. A grammar school has £70 from endowment; and other charities have £23.The sub-district contains also eight other parishes. Acres, 16, 317. Pop., 2, 874. Houses, 614.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Evershot has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Evershot and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Evershot in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st January 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Evershot".