In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dewlish like this:
DEWLISH, a parish, which is also a liberty, in Dorchester district, Dorset; on an affluent of the river Piddle, near a Roman way, 7 miles NNW of Moreton r. station, and 8 NE of Dorchester. It has a post office under Dorchester; and is within 2 miles of Milborne-St. Andrew, which has a post office under Blandford. Acres, 2, 090. Real property, £2, 466. Pop., 458. Houses, 88. The property is divided among a few. Dewlish House is the seat of General Michel. A Roman pavement was found in the parish in 1740; and Roman coins and other relics have been found in a neighbouring double-ditched camp of 7 acres. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Milborne-St. Andrew, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church is good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £5.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Dewlish has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Dewlish and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dewlish in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st August 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dewlish".