In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Long Crichel like this:
CRITCHELL (Long), a parish in Wimborne district, Dorset; on the Roman road from Old Sarum, 6 miles WSW of Cranborne, and 6½ NNE of Spettisbury r. station. It has a post office under Salisbury. Acres, 1,869. Real property, 1, 244. Pop., 145. Houses, 26. The property forms two manors, Critchell-Gonis on the west, and Critchell-Lucy on the east. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Critchell-Moore, in the diocese of Salisbury.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Long Crichel has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Long Crichel and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Long Crichel in East Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Long Crichel".