In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Compton Valence like this:
COMPTON-VALLENCE, or East Compton, a parish in Dorchester district, Dorset; 2½ miles SW of Grimstone and Frampton r. station, and 6½ WNW of Dorchester. It has a post office, of the name of Compton-Vallence, under Dorchester. Acres, 1, 296. Real property, £1, 498. Pop., 136. Houses, 26. The property is all in one estate. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £300.* Patron, R. Williams, Esq. The church is an edifice of 1840, in the later English style, after designs by Ferrey.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Compton Valence has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Compton Valence and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Compton Valence in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Compton Valence".