In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Compton like this:
COMPTON-ABBAS (West), a parish in Dorchester district, Dorset; 3½ miles SW of Maiden-Newton r. station, and 7 ENE of Bridport. Post town, Compton-Vallence, under Dorchester. Acres, 846. Real property, £1, 122. Pop., 117. Houses, 19. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to Milton Abbey. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £150. Patron, R. Williams, Esq.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing West Compton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering West Compton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Compton in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th November 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "West Compton".