In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Over Compton like this:
COMPTON (Over), a parish in Sherborne district, Dorset; at the boundary with Wilts, 2½ miles ENE of Yeovil r. station, and 3½ W by N of Sherborne. Post town, Compton, under Sherborne. Acres, 788. Real property, £1, 983. Pop., 150. Houses, 29. The. property is all in one estate. Over Compton House is the seat of John Goodden, Esq. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Nether Compton, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Over Compton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Over Compton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Over Compton in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Over Compton".