In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nether Compton like this:
COMPTON (Nether), a parish in Sherborne district, Dorset; at the boundary with Wilts, 2½ miles N of Yeovil Junction r. station, and 2½ W by N of Sherborne. It has a post office, of the name of Compton, under Sherborne. Acres, 892. Real property, £3, 155. Pop., 376. Houses, 86. The property is divided among a few The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Over Compton, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £300. Patron, John Goodden, Esq. The church is tolerable; and there are charities £9.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Nether Compton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Nether Compton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nether Compton in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th February 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Nether Compton".