In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chilfrome like this:
CHILFROOME, a parish in Dorchester district, Dorset; on the roman road to Bath, the river Frome and the Dorchester and Yeovil railway, 1 mile NW of Maiden-Newton r. station, and 5 WSW of Cerne-Abbas. Post town, Maiden-Newton, under Dorchester. Acres, 940. Real property, £1, 269. Pop., 120. Houses, 27. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £200.* Patron, J. Pinckney, Esq.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chilfrome has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chilfrome and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chilfrome in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chilfrome".