In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chilcombe like this:
CHILCOMBE, a parish in Bridport district, Dorset; near the coast, 4½ miles ESE of Bridport town and r. station. Post town, Askerswell, under Bridport. Acres, 465. Real property, £700. Pop., 24. Houses, 5. Chilcombe Hill rises steeply; commands an extensive view; and is crowned by a Saxon camp, , 333 feet long, and 672 feet wide, with two or three small barrows in the middle, and a single low rampart and shallow ditch around. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £100. Patron, the Dowager Countess Nelson. There was anciently a preceptory of Knights Hospitallers.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chilcombe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chilcombe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chilcombe in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th August 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chilcombe".