Place:


Chideock  Dorset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chideock like this:

CHIDEOCK, a parish in Bridport district, Dorset; on the coast, 2½ miles W of Bridport. It has a post office under Bridport town and r. station. Acres, , 052; of which 70 are water. Real property, with Stanton-St. Gabriel, £, 309. Pop., 794. Houses, 187. The property is divided among a few. ...


Chideock House is the seat of the Welds. A Roman road crosses the parish westwards; and a streamlet traverses a deep valley southward to the sea, near Down Cliffs. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Whitchurch-Canoni-curum, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church is pretty good; and there are chapels for Baptists and Roman Catholics.

Chideock through time

Chideock is now part of West Dorset district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Dorset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chideock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chideock in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13607

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chideock ".