In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chickerell like this:
CHICKERELL (West), a parish in Weymouth district, Dorset; on the coast, at the East Fleet, 3 miles NW by W of Weymouth town and r. station. It includes the tythings of East Chickerell and Putton; and has a post office under Weymouth. Acres, 1,812; of which 280 are water. Real property, £2, 620. Pop., 660. Houses, 143. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £320.* Patrons, the Duke of Cleveland and the Dowager Countess of Sandwich. The church is tolerable.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chickerell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chickerell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chickerell in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd August 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chickerell".