In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chettle like this:
CHETTLE, a parish in Wimborne district, Dorset; 1½ mile SSW of Farnham, and 6½ NE of Blandford r. station. Post town, Farnham, under Blandford. Acres, 1, 113. Real property, £1, 267. Pop., 177. Houses, 31. Chettle House was built by Vanbrugh; and is the seat of H. Chambers, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £180.* Patron, H. Chambers, Esq. The church is a flint structure of 1849, with the tower of a previous edifice.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chettle has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chettle and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chettle in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chettle".