In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chetnole like this:
CHETNOLE, a chapelry in Yetminster parish, Dorset; on the Dorchester and Yeovil railway, near the Roman road from Dorchester, 2¾ miles N of Evershot r. station, and 6½ SSW of Sherborne. It has a post office under Sherborne. Acres, 877. Real property, £2, 137. Pop., 269. Houses, 48. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Yetminster, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church is not good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chetnole has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chetnole and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chetnole in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chetnole".