In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cheselbourne like this:
CHESELBORNE, or Chesilborne, a parish in Dorchester district, Dorset; on an affluent of the river Piddle, 6½ miles E by S of Cerne-Abbas, and 7½ NNW of Moreton r. station. Post town, Milton-Abbas, under Blandford. Acres, 2, 580. Real property, £2, 752. Pop., 432. Houses, 91. The property is divided among a few. The parish is a meet for the Blackmoor Vale harriers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £254.* Patron, Lord Rivers. The church is good, and has an embattled tower.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cheselbourne has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cheselbourne and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cheselbourne in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th March 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cheselbourne".