In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chedington like this:
CHEDDINGTON, or Chedington, a parish in Beaminster district, Dorset; at the sources of the rivers Axe and Parret, 3¼ miles N of Beamiuster, and 4½ SE of Crewkerne r. station. Post town, Mosterton, under Crewkerne. Acres, 773. Real property, with Mosterton and South Perrot, £5, 923. ...
Pop., 176. Houses, 33. The property is divided among a few. The land is high and hilly; and most of its eminences command superb views. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £128.* Patron, W. T. Cox, Esq. The church is modern, and in the Tudor style. Hare, the translator of Horace, was rector.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chedington in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chedington ".