Place:


Torpoint  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Torpoint like this:

TORPOINT, a village and a chapelry in Antony parish, Cornwall. The village stands on a peninsula of the Hamoaze, opposite Devonport; and has a post-office‡ under Devonport, a good inn, a church, Independent and Wesleyan chapels, a free grammar-school, a national school, and fairs on 16 Jan. and 17 April. The chapelry has no defined limits, but contains many fine residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £124. Patron, the Vicar of Antony.

Torpoint through time

Torpoint is now part of Caradon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Caradon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Torpoint itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Torpoint, in Caradon and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/136

Date accessed: 23rd April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Torpoint ".