In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chalbury like this:
CHALBURY, a parish in Wimborne district, Dorset; near the Roman road from Dorchester, 3 miles NNE of Bailey-Gate r. station, and 5 N by E of WimborneMinster. It includes Didlington tything; and its Post Town is Horton, under Wimborne. Acres, 1,344. Real property, £1,409. Pop., 194. Houses, 41. The property is divided among a few. Part of the land is high; has an ancient entrenchment; and commands a fine view, to the sea. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £168.* Patron, the Earl of Pembroke. The church is tolerable.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chalbury has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chalbury and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chalbury in East Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th September 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chalbury".