In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stourton Caundle like this:
CAUNDLE-STOURTON, a parish in Sturminster district, Dorset; 3½ miles SE of Milborne-Port r. station, and 4½ WNW of Sturminstor. Post Town, Stalbridge, under Blandford. Acres, 1,975. Real property, with Lydlinch, Wake, and Stock-Gaylard, £8,445. Pop., 395. Houses, 94. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £48. Patron, Sir H. A. Hoare, Bart. The church is ancient, and has a tower. Bishop Mew was a native.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stourton Caundle has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stourton Caundle and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stourton Caundle in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th December 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stourton Caundle".