In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Purse Caundle like this:
CAUNDLE-PURSE, a parish in Sherborne district, Dorset; on the verge of the county, 1½ mile SE of Milborne-Port r. station, and 4¾ E of Sherborne. Post Town, Milborne-Port, under Sherborne. Acres, 1,470. Real property, £1,498. Pop., 185. Houses, 36. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £160. Patron, Sir H. A. Hoare, Bart.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Purse Caundle has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Purse Caundle and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Purse Caundle in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Purse Caundle".