In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bishops Caundle like this:
CAUNDLE-BISHOP, or Bishops-Caundle, a parish in Sherborne district, Dorset; 4 miles S by E of Milborne-Port r. station, and 5 SE of Sherborne. It includes Caundle-Wake tything and Bishopsdown hamlet; and has a post office, of the name of Bishops-Caundle, under Sherborne. Acres, 1,397. Real property, of Caundle-Bishop only, £677. Pop., 371. Houses, 92. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £226.* Patron, G. D. W. Digby, Esq. The church is old, and has a tower. Charities, £13.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bishops Caundle has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bishops Caundle and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bishops Caundle in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bishops Caundle".