In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cattistock like this:
CATTISTOCK, a parish in Dorchester district, Dorset; on the river Frome, and on the Dorchester and Yeovil railway, near Maiden-Newton station, 4¼ miles WSW of Cerne-Abbas. It has a post office under Dorchester. Acres, 3,009. Real property, £4,912. Pop., 510. Houses, 133. The property is subdivided. Cattistock House is the seat of the Farquharsons. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £500.* Patron, Mrs. Still. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cattistock has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cattistock and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cattistock in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cattistock".