Place:


Skellingthorpe  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Skellingthorpe like this:

SKELLINGTHORPE, a village and a parish in the district and county of Lincoln. The village stands near the Lincoln and Gainsborough railway, 3½ miles W of Lincoln; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Lincoln. The parish contains also the hamlet of Swallowbeck, and comprises 6,220 acres. ...


Real property, £7,115. Pop., 662. Houses, 132. The manor was bequeathed, in 1693, by H. Stone, Esq., to Christ's hospital, London. S. Hall is the seat of R. Coupland, Esq. Much of the land was reclaimed from a marshy state subsequent to 1835. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, not reported. Patron, Spittal Hospital. The church was recently repaired. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a parochial school.

Skellingthorpe through time

Skellingthorpe is now part of North Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Skellingthorpe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Skellingthorpe, in North Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13569

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Skellingthorpe ".