In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cann like this:
CANN, or Shaston-St. Rumbold, a parish in Shaftesbury district, Dorset; on the verge of the county, 1¼ mile SE of Shaftesbury, and 4¼ SSE of Semley r. station. Post Town, Shaftesbury, under Salisbury. Acres, 930. Pop., 547. Houses, 126. The area is all included in the borough of Shaftesbury. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £196.* Patron, the Earl of Shaftesbury.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cann has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cann and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cann in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th July 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cann".