In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burton Bradstock like this:
BURTON-BRADSTOCK, a parish and a subdistrict in Bridport district, Dorset. The parish lies on the river Bredy, and on the coast, 3 miles SSE of Bridport r. station; includes the tything of Sturthill; and has a post office under Bridport. Acres, 2,680,-of which 155 are water. Real property, with Shipton-George and Sturthill, £6,436. Pop., 1,010. Houses, 223. Cliffs on the coast consist of fuller's earth. The vale of the Bredy here is beautiful. There are flax-mills and a twine factory. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Shipton-George, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £336.* Patron, Lord Rivers. Charities, £4.-The subdistrict contains nine parishes and a parochial chapelry. Acres, 16,306. Pop., 4,724. Houses, 980.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Burton Bradstock has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Burton Bradstock and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burton Bradstock in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st December 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Burton Bradstock".