In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burstock like this:
BURSTOCK, a parish in Beaminster district, Dorset; on the verge of the county, 4¾ miles WNW of Beaminster, and 5 SSW of Crewkerne r. station. Post Town, Broadwinsor, under Bridport. Acres, 913. Real property, £1,811. Pop., 220. Houses, 49. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £155. Patron, Rev. J. Jones. Charities, £14.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Burstock has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Burstock and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burstock in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th March 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Burstock".