In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bincombe like this:
BINCOMBE, a parish in Weymouth district, Dorset; on the river Wey, on the Southwestern railway, and on the downs, 4½ miles S by W of Dorchester r. station. Post Town, Dorchester. Acres, 977. Real property, £1,035. Pop., 194. Houses, 41. The property is divided between two. Good stone is quarried; and there is a mineral spring. Numerous barrows are on the downs. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Broadway, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £487.* Patron, Caius College, Cambridge. The church is old but good, and has a tower.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bincombe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bincombe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bincombe in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th February 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bincombe".