In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burleston like this:
BURLESTONE, a parish in Dorchester district, Dorset; on the river Piddle, 4 miles NNW of Moreton r. station, and 7 ENE of Dorchester. Post Town, Piddletown, under Dorchester. Acres, 374. Real property, £561. Pop., 45. Houses, 7. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Athelampstone, in the diocese of Salisbury.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Burleston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Burleston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burleston in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th March 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Burleston".