In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Buckland Newton like this:
BUCKLAND NEWTON, a tything, a parish, and a hundred in Dorset. The tything lies 3¼ miles NE by N of Cerne-Abbas, and 6 E by N of Evershot r. station; includes a village, which formerly was the seat of market; and has a post office under Dorchester. The parish contains also the tythings of Plush, Duntish, Mintern-Parva, and Brockhampton and Knowle; and is in the district of Dorchester. Acres, 6,018. Real property, exclusive of Mintern-Parva, £8,446. Pop., 972. Houses, 193. The property is divided among a few. ...
The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Plush, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £496. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The parish church is early and later English; and has an embattled tower and a low spire. Plush church is a neat structure of 1848. There are a dissenting chapel, and charities £27. The hundred contains four parishes; and is in Cerne division. Acres, with part of Bindon liberty, 11,940. Pop. in 1851, 1,788. Houses, 360.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Buckland Newton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Buckland Newton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Buckland Newton in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th February 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Buckland Newton".