In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Broadwindsor like this:
BROADWINSOR, a village and a parish in Beaminster district, Dorset. The village stands 3 miles WNW of Beaminster, and 5 S of Crewkerne r. station; and has a post office‡ under Bridport, and a fair on Trinity Monday. The parish includes also the tythings of Childhay, Dibberford, Drimpton, and Little Winsor. Acres, 6,214. Real property, £11,810. Pop., 1,538. Houses, 311. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Blackdown, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £558.* Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is ancient, and has a tower. There are an Independent chapel; an endowed school, with £23; and other charities, with £18. Thomas Fuller, author of the "History of the Holy War," was vicar.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Broadwindsor has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Broadwindsor and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Broadwindsor in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Broadwindsor".