Place:


Scampton  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Scampton like this:

SCAMPTON, a parish in the district and county of Lincoln; 4¼ miles N E of Saxelby r. station, and 5½ N N W of Lincoln. Post-town, Lincoln. Acres, 2, 147. Real property, £3,031. Pop., 235. Houses, 40. The manor belongs to Sir G. Cayley, Bart. S. Hall was built on the site of a grange to Kirkstead abbey, and became a farm-house. A Roman villa was found in 1795. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £300.* Patron, Sir G. Cayley, Bart. The church is good.

Scampton through time

Scampton is now part of West Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Scampton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Scampton, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13537

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Scampton ".