Place:


Lawhitton  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lawhitton like this:

LAWHITTON, a village and a parish in Launceston district, Cornwall. The village stands near the river Tamar at the boundary with Devon, 2½ miles SE of Launceston r. station; was once a market town; and has a post office under Launceston. The parish is partly within Launceston borough. Acres, 2, 629. ...


Real property, £3, 182. Pop., 435. Houses, 95. Pop. of the part in Launceston m. borough, 61; of the part in L. p. borough, 374. A palace of the bishops of Exeter was here, but has disappeared. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £437.* Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is ancient, and has a tower. There is a national school.

Lawhitton through time

Lawhitton is now part of North Cornwall district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Cornwall has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lawhitton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lawhitton in North Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1353

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lawhitton ".