In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bradford Abbas like this:
BRADFORD-ABBAS, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Sherborne district, Dorset. The village stands on the river Yeo, adjacent to the Southwestern railway, 2½ miles ESE of Yeovil station, and 3½ SW by W of Sherborne; and has a post office under Sherborne. The parish comprises 1,139 acres. Real property, £3,055. Pop., 585. Houses, 134. The property is all in one estate. The living is a vicarage, united with the rectory of Clifton-Maybank, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £479.* Patron, Winchester college. The church is good. An endowed school has £24; and other charities £28. The subdistrict comprises thirteen parishes. Acres, 12,836. Pop., 3,372. Houses, 738.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bradford Abbas has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bradford Abbas and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bradford Abbas in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd August 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bradford Abbas".