In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bothenhampton like this:
BOTHENHAMPTON, a parish in Bridport district, Dorset; adjacent to the river Brit and the Southwestern railway, ¾ of a mile SE of Bridport. Post Town, Bridport. Acres, 823. Real property, £2,992. Pop., 546 Houses, 119. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £95.* Patron, Sir H. M. Nepean, Bart. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bothenhampton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bothenhampton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bothenhampton in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th June 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bothenhampton".