In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Blandford St Mary like this:
BLANDFORD-ST. MARY, a parish in Blandford district, Dorset; on the river Stour, adjacent to the Dorset Central railway, ½ a mile S of Blandford-Forum. It has a post office under Blandford. Acres, 1,583. Real property, £2,747. Pop., 409. Houses, 77. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £313.* Patron, Worcester College, Oxford. The church was built by Governor Pitt, grandfather of the great Earl; and contains several monuments of his family. Dr. Brown Willis, the antiquary, was a native.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Blandford St Mary has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Blandford St Mary and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blandford St Mary in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 17th January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Blandford St Mary".