In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashmore like this:
ASHMORE, a parish in Shaftesbury district, Dorset; contiguous to Wilts, 5 miles SE of Shaftesbury, and 7½ N of Blandford r. station. Post Town, Shaftesbury under Salisbury. Acres, 2,335. Real property with Farnham, £3,420. Pop., 254. Houses, 61. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £410.* Patron, the Rev.Chisholm. The church is good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ashmore has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ashmore and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashmore in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ashmore".