Place:


Meaux  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Meaux like this:

MEAUX, a township in Wawn parish, E. R. Yorkshire; 3¼ miles E of Beverley. Acres, 1,390. Real property, £1,778. Pop., 86. Houses, 14. The name was taken from Meaux in Normandy, by Norman settlers. A Cistertian abbey was founded here in 1140, by William le Gros, Earl of Albemarle; was colonized from Fountains abbey; and is now represented by a gateway, part of a wall, and traces of the foundations of the church. Several interesting relics, including monumental stone s, a tesselated pavement, a key, a knife, and a ring, have been found in excavating the ruins.

Meaux through time

Meaux is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Meaux itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Meaux, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13468

Date accessed: 18th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Meaux ".