Place:


Great Ponton  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Ponton like this:

PONTON (Great), a parish in Grantham district, Lincoln; on Ermine-street, the river Witham, and the Great Northern railway, 3½ miles S of Grantham. It is supposed, by some, to be the Ad Pontem of the Romans; it has yielded many Roman coins, pavements, bricks, urns, and other relics; and it has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Grantham. ...


Acres, 2, 930. Real property, £3, 696. Pop. in 1851, 680; in 1861, 561. Houses, 107. The manor and most of the land belong to the Earl of Dysart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, about £800. Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church was built in 1519; and is a handsome edifice, with a pinnacled tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and an endowed school with about £90 a year.

Great Ponton through time

Great Ponton is now part of South Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Ponton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Ponton, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13458

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Ponton ".