In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alderholt like this:
ALDERHOLT, a tything and a chapelry in Cranborne parish, Dorset. The tything lies on the verge of the county, 4½ miles E of Cranborne, and 5½ N of Ringwood r. station; and has a post office under Salisbury. Pop., 404. The chapelry includes the tything, but is larger, and was constituted in 1849. Pop., 708. Houses, 145. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £105.* Patron, the Vicar of Cranborne. The church was built by the Marquis of Salisbury.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Alderholt has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Alderholt and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alderholt in East Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th January 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Alderholt".