Place:


Marton in the Forest  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marton in the Forest like this:

MARTON-IN-THE-FOREST, a parish in Easingwold district, N. R. Yorkshire; on the river Foss, and within the old forest of Gartree, 4½ miles WNW of Flaxton r. station, and 5 ESE of Easingwold. It contains the hamlet of Moxby; and its Post town is Easingwold. Acres, 2,370. Real property, £3,396. ...


Pop., 168. Houses, 29. The manor belongs to the Archbishop of York. An Augustinian priory was founded at Marton, in the time of King Stephen, by Bertram of Bulmer; and a nunnery was founded at Moxby by Henry II. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Farlington, in the diocese of York. The church is ancient.

Marton in the Forest through time

Marton in the Forest is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Marton in the Forest itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Marton in the Forest, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13446

Date accessed: 19th January 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Marton in the Forest ".