Place:


Marton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marton like this:

MARTON-CUM-GRAFTON, a parish in Great Ouseburn district, W. R. Yorkshire; 3 miles S by E of Aldborough, and 3¾ SSE of Boroughbridge r. station. Posttown, Ouseburn, under York. Acres, 1,198. Real property, £3,796. Pop., 454. Houses, 105. The property is subdivided. Wood Hills, on the border of Grafton, command an extensive and beautiful view. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £200. * Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is a small old structure, with a belfry; and was reported in 1859 as needing to be rebuilt. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a handsome national school, and charities £8.

Marton through time

Marton is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Marton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Marton, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13444

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Marton ".