Place:


Long Marston  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Long Marston like this:

MARSTON (LONG), a village and a township in Tadcaster district, W. R. Yorkshire, and a parish partly also in Wetherby district, W. R. Yorkshire, and partly in York district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands adjacent to the York, Knaresborough, and Harrogate railway, 6¼ miles W by N of York; and has a station on the railway and a post office under York, both of the name of Marston.-The township comprises 2,540 acres. ...


Real property, £3,397. Pop., 405. Houses, 91.—The parish contains also the townships of Angram and Hutton-Wandesley, and comprises 4,281 acres. Real property, £5,282. Pop., 586. Houses, 126. The property is divided among a few. The manor of Marston belongs to A. Montagu, Esq.; and that of Angram and HuttonWandesley, to Lord Wenlock. Hutton-Wandesley Hall is the seat of the Hon. R. N. Lawley. Marston-Moor, about 1½ mile SSW of the village, is famous as the battlefield where Fairfax and Cromwell, in 1644, defeated the royalists under Prince Rupert. "On Marston Heath Met, front to front, the ranks of death; Flourished the trumpets fierce, and now Fired was each eye, and flushed each brow; On either side loud clamours rmg, ' God and the Cause ! '-' God and the King !' Right English all, they rushed to blows, With nought to win, and all to lose." Upwards of 4,000 bodies were buried on the field; and the graves are still observable, while interesting relics of the battle are occasionally turued up by the plough. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £865.* Patron, Lord Wenlock. The church has Norman arches in combination with more recent architecture; is in good condition; consists of nave, N aisle, and chaucel, with porch and tower; and contains monuments of the Thwaites, the Thompsons, the Ronndells, the Micklethwaites, and the Smiths. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £142.

Long Marston through time

Long Marston is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Long Marston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Long Marston, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13439

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Long Marston ".