Place:


Marske  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marske like this:

MARSKE, a village and a parish in Richmond district, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the rivulet Marske, a little above its inflnx to the Swale, 5½ miles W of Richmond r. station; and has a post office under Richmond, Yorkshire. The parish contains also the hamlets of Feldon and Skelton, and comprises 6,557 acres. ...


Real property, £3,217. Pop., 263. Houses, 52. The property belongs to J. T. D. Hutton, Esq. Marske Hall is Mr. H.'s seat; and the grounds contain an obelisk 60 feet high, to the memory of Capt. M. Hutton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £376.* Patron, J. T. D. Hutton, Esq. The church is ancient and good, has a Norman doorway, and contains an old font. The charities inclnde an endowed school, and amount to £76 a year. Dr. M. Hutton. Archbishop of Canterbury, was a native.

Marske through time

Marske is now part of Richmondshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmondshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Marske itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Marske, in Richmondshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13436

Date accessed: 11th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Marske ".