Place:


North Wootton  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Wootton like this:

WOOTTON (North), a parish, with a village, in Wells district, Somerset; 3½ miles SSE of Wells r. station. It has a post-office under Shepton-Mallet. Acres, 1,536. Real property, £3,135. Pop., 322. Houses, 73. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage, with Worminster chapelry, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Pilton. The church was recently restored. There are a Baptist chapel, an endowed national school, and charities £3.

North Wootton through time

North Wootton is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Wootton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Wootton, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13426

Date accessed: 26th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " North Wootton ".