Place:


Winsford  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Winsford like this:

WINSFORD, a parish, with a village, in the district of Tiverton and county of Somerset; 4½ miles N by W of Dulverton, and 13 SW by W of Watchet r. station. It has a post-office under Tiverton, and an inn. Acres, 8,656. Real property, £4,247. Pop., 574. Houses, 101. The manor belongs to Sir T. ...


D. Acland, Bart. Iron ore was formerly worked The parish is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £360.* Patron, Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The church was partially restored in 1858. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a Church school, and charities £16.

Winsford through time

Winsford is now part of West Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Winsford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Winsford in West Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13413

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Winsford ".