Place:


Whitchurch  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitchurch like this:

WHITCHURCH, a parish, with a village, in Keynsham district, Somerset; 3¼ miles S of Bristol r. station. It is sometimes called Felton; and it has a post-office under Bristol. Acres, 2,194. Real property, £4,231. Pop., 394. Houses, 70. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £200. Patrons, Sir J. Smyth, Bart., and W. G. Langton, Esq. The church was repaired in 1861. There are a boarding school, a national school, and charities £11.

Whitchurch through time

Whitchurch is now part of Bristol district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bristol has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whitchurch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitchurch, in Bristol and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13398

Date accessed: 19th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whitchurch ".