Place:


Whatley  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whatley like this:

WHATLEY, a parish, with a village, in Frome district, Somerset: 3 miles W of Frome r. station. Post town, Frome. Acres, 1,259. Real property, £2,671. Pop., 423. Houses, 79. The manor belonged once to Glastonbury abbey, and belongs now to the Rev. J. S. H. Horner. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £228.* Patron, the Rev. J. S. H. Horner. The church is ancient, with tower and spire; and the chancel was restored in 1857. The vicarage of Chantry is a separate benefice. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a parochial school.

Whatley through time

Whatley is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whatley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whatley, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13394

Date accessed: 18th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whatley ".