Place:


Markington  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Markington like this:

MARKINGTON, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Ripon parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 1 mile W of Wormald-Green r. station, and 5 SSW of Ripon; and has a post office under Leeds.-The township bears the name of Markington-with-Wallerthwaite, and comprises 3,056 acres. Real property, £4,607. ...


Pop., 496. Houses, 110. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to W. Wilberforce, Esq. Agricultural implements are made, and lime is calcined. -The chapelry is more extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1 845. Pop., 535. Houses, 120. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £180.* Patron, the Bishop of Ripon. The church was built in 1844; is in the pointed style; consists of nave and chancel, with porch and belfry; and has three stained windows and sedilia. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and a slightly endowed Church of England school.

Markington through time

Markington is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Markington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Markington, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13392

Date accessed: 16th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Markington ".