Place:


Bishop Norton  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bishop Norton like this:

BISHOP-NORTON, a township and a parish in Caistor district, Lincoln. The township lies on the river Ancholme, near Ermine-street, 6 miles SSE of KirtonLindsey r. station, and 7½ WNW of Market-Rasen. Real property, £4,019. Pop., 364. Houses, 82.—The parish includes also the township of Atterby; and its Post Town is Glentham, under Market-Rasen. ...


Acres, 4,240. Real property, £5,373. Pop., 459. Houses, 104. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £185.* Patron, the Prebendary of Bishop-Norton. The church is good. There are two Methodist chapels.

Bishop Norton through time

Bishop Norton is now part of West Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bishop Norton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bishop Norton, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13376

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bishop Norton ".