Place:


Lythe  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lythe like this:

LYTHE, a village, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Whitby district, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the coast, 3¾ miles NW of Whitby r. station; was once a market-town; and has a post office under Whitby.-The township comprises 3,620 acres of land, and 284 of water. Real property, £5,845; of which £240 are in mines. ...


Pop., 1,053. Houses, 242.—The parish contains also the townships of Hutton-Mulgrave, Barnby, Ugthorpe, Mickleby, Ellerby, Newton-Mulgrave, Borrowby, and Egton. Acres, 29,130. Real property, £22,426. Pop., 3,233. Houses, 656. The property is not much divided. The manor belonged once to the Mauleys, and belongs now to the Marquis of Normanby. Mulgrave Castle, the Marquis' seat, is a handsome edifice, in the castellated style; stands on an elevated site, com

Lythe through time

Lythe is now part of Scarborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scarborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lythe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lythe, in Scarborough and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13348

Date accessed: 24th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lythe ".